Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Blackwood Telling Stories on Film!

Some years ago I wrote here on Wormwoodiana about a snippet of film of Algernon Blackwood, see here (though the links to the program which included the snippet are now dead).  Now I'm pleased to report that two short films, about thirteen or fourteen minutes each, of Blackwood telling stories are viewable on youtube.

They are the two surviving episodes of a series of six such short-films made by Rayant Pictures in  1949-1950. (For details, see Mike Ashley's Starlight Man: The Extraordinary Life of Algernon Blackwood, 2001, pp. 330-331.) I learned of them last week via a posting by Jim at the Blackwood yahoogroup (ablackwood).  Having just watched them, I thought I'd share them with readers of Wormwoodiana.  Here are the titles and links:

The Reformation of St. Jules 

Lock Your Door

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I posted a link to this entry, over at the Science Fiction and Fantasy Chronicles Forums, several days ago. It's been viewed by a number of people, but without comments, which I'd have thought should have showed up there or, better, here. A bit puzzling. I suspect a lot of readers younger than I haven't read Blackwood, or not enough to be excited about these finds.

    Dale Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watched the films on youtube. Very enjoyable. Thanks so much for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete